I've seen couples in the middle of an argument catch each others' eyes and just break into laughter. And in the moment, everything shifts. The heavy emotion clears and suddenly things are possible...
Laughter seems simple on the face of it, but the study of laughter (called gelotology) shows that many parts of the brain are involved: emotional, cognitive and motor. It requires the coordination of many muscles throughout the body as well as increasing your blood pressure and heart rate, reducing pain and boosting the immune system.
Between people, laughter forges bonds by releasing endorphins, the brain's "feel-good" chemicals. These pain-relieving chemicals are also created in response to exercise, excitement, pain, spicy
food, love and sexual orgasm, among other things. Couples who laugh together stay together.
Here's some other ways laughter helps
- It's a stress reliever which helps everyone relax.
- It makes you feel better so you end up being nicer to your partner.
- It helps lighten a tense situation so you loosen up and can resolve a situation more creatively.
- It creates intimacy through shared humor, stories and "inside jokes."
- It can liven up your sex life and make it more fun.